My new pet... spider

My love for this guy blinded me to my
hatred for spiders
I have this spider who chills in my room. He's become my new pet.

Now usually, I'm the first one to declare war against spiders of any sort but for some reason, we became friends. (Possible reasons? He's out of my reach; My birth control pills are making me maternal; He's less maintenance than a hamster? Who knows. ) 

Anyway here's how we met. 

I was laying in bed about to fall asleep when I notice movement against the wall near my bed.

Huh?

I turn my head and there's a medium-sized furry brown spider at eye level with me.

I screamed bloody murder the second we made eye contact and then I tumbled off the bed.

The spider was obviously frightened by my screaming and he ran away, disappearing like a chameleon ninja in the crack between my bed and the wall. 
This could have totally happened to me. 

I armed myself with an unpaid bill that I wrapped into a spider-smashing tube. 

I'm bigger than him, I told myself as I approached the crack cautiously.

I peeked in and couldn't see a thing. I moved the bed a little with my foot then got scared that the movement would scare him out and I really didn't want him to come running out because I was barefoot and for some reason that made this whole thing scarier.

I didn't want to step on him by accident and get poisoned. 

A tense and quiet moment passed when I tried to consider my options. 

There's no way in hell I was going to crawl under the bed skirt to find him. What if he was fast and jumpy like a cricket spider? He might hop into my hair.

I shuddered thinking about how awful it would be to have a spider jump into my hair. I would have to touch him to get it out and he's all furry and he has ten eyes probably and what if I touched one?  

My cell phone rang and interrupted my thoughts. 
The sheet cocoon can protect against bed wetting and
accidental spider ingestion. 

It was my boyfriend. I picked up the phone and sat on the purple couch that's in my room. 

"There's a spider in my room and I'm afraid to go to sleep because he's going to jump into my mouth when I'm sleeping and then I'll eat him and get poisoned," I said without a greeting. 

He told me to kill him but I was too scared to go spider hunting. Also was tired and I wanted to go to bed. 

I banged on the wall near where he had disappeared. Nothing happened.

Taking the safe route, I grabbed my pillow from the bed and decided to sleep on the couch in my room. 

As an additional precautionary measure, I stretched a sheet over my head just so that the spider couldn't end up in my mouth as I slept. I thought about Marv in Home Alone and that terrible spider that ended up on his face. "That could happen to me," I told myself. 

This is probably what aliens look like. 
I slept inside my sheet-cocoon like a mummy. 

I woke up in the morning and searched the walls for signs of my spider. I noticed him hunched up in a small cottony corner in the highest spot of the wall above my bed. 

Strangely, I felt relieved. 

"You'd better stay up there," I told him. 

I figured that if I could see him, I'd always know where he was... and I preferred him visible as opposed to lurking in the shadows under my bed. 

A week or two passed with us living in happy harmony. I started sleeping on the bed again... I didn't use my sheet cocoon anymore either. 

A cool thing started happening too, in my hatred for spiders, I had forgotten that they eat flies.

Well that was a great thing! I hate flies! And my spider was catching all the little fruit flies that wafted in from when I opened the windows.

I started saying "what up yo" to him whenever I entered my room.

BUT THEN...

I woke up one morning with an itchy spot on my face.

What that hell?!

It felt like a mosquito bite but it was smaller. 
I'm excited to meet you too Mr. Hamster! 

"You bit me!" I yelled groggily into the corner but his nest was empty. 

He was nowhere to be found and I figured he'd fled the scene of the crime. 

Was I angry with him about the spider bite? Yes.

But then, a few days passed and he was still missing. His little web stood empty and a fly was bumping noisily into my window.

I missed him.

My boyfriend came over to visit me. We were in my room watching TV when I found myself glancing up into the corner. He noticed me looking  up there.

"Look," I said pointing, "My spider's gone." 

"I thought you hated him because he bit you," boyfriend answered. 

"Yeah but I forgave him and now I miss him," I said looking at his empty web home.

"My next pet's going to be a hamster," I added.